Monday, September 6, 2010

Two Book Reviews: Coraline by Neil Gaiman and Vampire Knight Volume One by Matsuri Hino

This was the third time I've read Coraline, and I loved it just as much as I did before. When Coraline Jones and her family move into a new apartment, despite the eccentric neighbors and big yard, Coraline gets bored quickly. She's read all her books, watched all her videos, and her parents never have time to play with her. So when Coraline finds a locked door in the drawing room, she's excited. It seems bricked up at first, but Coraline soon discovers that sometimes, the passage opens. It leads into a world quite like her own...but better. With talking animals, delicious food, and fun games, this world seems like a dream come true. But she has other parents there, who want to change her and make her to stay with them forever. Coraline soon realizes that some doors are best left closed...

Rating: 9.5 out of 10 stars





At the Cross Academy, there are two classes of students: the Day Class and the Night Class. Yuki Cross and Zero Kiryu, two Day Class students, work to make sure that the rest of the Day Class never finds out the Night Class's secret--they're vampires! Yuki and Zero both found their way to Cross Academy after having been attacked by vampires, and while the vampires in the Night Class are "pacifists", Zero has hated them for a long time. So what will he do when Yuki finds out...that the attack on him turned HIM into a vampire too?!

Rating: 7.5 out of 10 stars





Both of these books were read for the R.I.P Challenge.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, 3 times for Coraline! Awesome :D I totally need to read that one again. I just love that book to pieces...I need to read all of Gaiman's books again actually!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Chris...I totally need to read Coraline again, too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. never read it (I will one day) but I did love the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time you read manga you make me want to read it, too! Not totally a bad thing, but the series are so long and my library doesn't always have everything. :(

    Loved Coraline, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris--Yeah, you should reread it! :D

    Mom--So should you! XD

    DesLily--I liked the movie a lot too, and the book is even better. :)

    Kailana--Yeah, that's true. My library has a bad manga section too. :( I order most of mine used from Amazon, or I try to read it online. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I've read Coraline three times...twice for certain. Such a great book. Love the film too. I have a copy of Gaiman reading it on audio but haven't listened to it yet. Time to correct that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE Coraline. Have you read Neverwhere? There's this great little BBC miniseries based off it. It's another one of my fav Neil Gaimans (along with Stardust ...)

    --Sharry

    ReplyDelete