Thursday, June 17, 2010

Crank by Ellen Hopkins: A Book Review


Life was good before I met the monster. After, life was great. At least for a little while.

Kristina Snow is a good daughter. She always gets good grades, never misses curfew, and never causes any trouble. But there is another side of Kristina that only she knows about: Bree. Bree is wild and fearless. She answers to no one. On a trip to visit her father, whom she hasn't seen in years, Bree takes control.

Bree's new boyfriend introduces her to crank, aka "the monster". Soon, Bree finds that one thing leads to another, and her life is spiraling out of control. Kristina needs to take back her life, and fast. But soon, one shocking event will overshadow all the others, and Kristina will find herself forced to confront her newer, darker side.

This book was amazing. I'd never read an Ellen Hopkins book before, although I wanted to. And this was even better than I thought. Normally I don't like books written in verse as much as normal prose, but this one was great. I loved how Hopkins manipulated the stanzas so that they were shaped in certain formations relevant to the story she was telling. Kristina/Bree seemed so real, and she was easy to sympathize with. I'd love to read more of this author's books!

1 comment:

  1. This book was amazing. I'd never read an Ellen Hopkins book before, although I wanted to

    ReplyDelete