Friday, May 28, 2010

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong: A Book Review


Chloe Saunders is just a normal girl...or so she thinks. Until the day she starts to see ghosts. When an incident with the spirit of a horribly burned school custodian gets her into a fight with teachers, ending in her being hustled off to the hospital sedated, Chloe is scared and unsure of what will happen next. Is she going crazy? She can't really be seeing the spirits of dead people...can she? Soon, Chloe is sent off to to the Lyle House, a group home for troubled teens. At first, all she wants to do is take her meds and get out as quickly as possible. But soon, after Chloe's roommate disappears and her ghost shows up the next day, Chloe realizes that there is more to Lyle House...and its residents...than meets the eye. Will Chloe uncover Lyle House's secrets? Will she even survive? Because it seems that someone there wants her silenced...no matter what it takes.

This was a great supernatural novel, one of the best I've read recently, if not the best. It was filled with zombies, police chases, vengeful, gruesome spirits, and just the right amount of romance. It did not involve sparkly vampire stalkers (in fact, it didn't involve ANY vampires. I know, amazing, right?). Chloe was a complex heroine who had flaws, but was intelligent and could think for herself. Some of the other characters seemed a little flat at parts, but it was still interesting to learn about their backgrounds and the secrets they were keeping. One thing that I didn't like was that the ending seemed slightly abrupt, as if it was only half of the book. Then again, this is just the first in a series. So...this book wasn't perfect, but it was action-packed and suspenseful. I read it in one sitting, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a good supernatural YA book.

This book was read for the Once Upon A Time Challenge.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I had no interest in reading this book until I read your review. And well, I really don't need to add any more books to my TBR list. *sigh* I'd just stop reading your blog, but I happen to enjoy it too much. Oh well, guess I should just count myself lucky--at least I can borrow it from you instead of having to buy it, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom--You can borrow it whenever you want :P

    ReplyDelete