Sunday, April 4, 2010

After the First Death by Robert Cormier: A Book Review


So, within twenty-five minutes, I will have killed my first man. A man will have died because of me.
But it turned out not to be a man.

Robert Cormier's chilling tale centers on the hijacking of a schoolbus full of preschoolers. The hijackers are four terrorists who aren't afraid to kill to get what they want. And before the ordeal is over, more than one innocent life will be lost...

Miro is roughly sixteen years old, the youngest of the hijackers. For nearly his whole life, he has been preparing for this moment: his first death, the driver of the bus that he and his companions will capture.

Kate is a teenage girl with many secrets. At first glance, she's the pretty cheerleader, the star student, the budding actress. But she has many disguises, and she'll do nearly anything to make sure her peers don't see the real Kate.

Ben is the son of a general; he has lived his entire life at a military community called Fort Delta. Despite this fact, he has lived for the most part an ordinary and unexciting life. But one fateful day, everything will change, as the bond between father and son will be shattered forever.

These three teenagers seem to have nothing in common. But after the hijacking of the bus, their lives will come together in ways that none of them would have thought possible.


First things first: if you're looking for a happy ending, pass by this book. However, if you're looking for a chilling read filled with suspense and action, this might be the perfect book for you. Although it wasn't the most cheerful thing I've ever read--in fact, you'd be hard-pressed to find anything cheerful about this book--it was still nearly impossible to put down. Since this was assigned reading, I had to put it down after every few chapters until the next class. But if I had been reading this for fun, I have no doubt that I would have devoured it in a few hours. The characters in this book were so complex and multi-faceted that it was easy to believe that they were in fact real people. Some were extremely easy to sympathize with, while some were extremely unlikeable, but all had rich personalities and real depth to their character. To make a long story short, this book was amazing.

4 comments:

  1. :D I'm so glad you liked this one so much! I really did, too. Sometimes I have a tough time with books that come from multiple point of views, but with this book it really worked for me. Anyway, Annie, I'm glad you chose this one for class, because I really, really enjoyed it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds really freaking good! And I have no problem with books that are not at all happy. Wonder what that says about me? :/ Anyway, I'll definitely be adding this to ye ole TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the Chocolate War by him, once, and it was good, though not life-changing for me. the premise of this is very interesting. I'm glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris: LOL!

    Jason: What is the Chocolate War about? It has an interesting (tasty :P) title ^_^

    ReplyDelete